Word of the Day: How to use 'Minta'

Minta can be used in the following ways:

(Causative) Verb: to ask, to request

Minta is used to describe the action of requesting someone for something. As a primary verb, (meN)minta --> meminta comes before the indirect object which is the person requested by the subject. The indirect object can be ommitted when it is clear from the context. Minta is then followed with the action requested or the object requested.

Examples:

1. Dia selalu minta tolong saya.   

 He always asks for my help.   

 2. Adik minta ibu (meN)tandatangan(i) borang itu.   

 My younger sibling asked mother to sign that form.

 3. Mereka meminta sedikit masa lagi.

 They requested for a little bit more time.

 4. Awak sudah minta cuti belum?

 Have you requested for an off-day?

 

(Imperative) Verb: please / give (me)

Minta is another polite way to make a request which can be translated to 'please' in English. However, based on the meaning of minta, it can be understood that the request will benefit the speaker a certain away. If an object is followed by minta, it means the speaker is requesting for the object. Minta is also combined with certain words to form fixed phrases.

Examples:

1. Minta pen.

Please give me a pen!   

2. Minta kopi, satu gelas. 

Get me a glass of cofee, please!

3. Minta jagakan beg saya.

Please take a look after my bags!

4. Minta tunjukkan jalan.

Please show me the way!

 

Fixed phrases:

1. Minta tolong.   

Help me!   

2. Minta maaf.   

Forgive me!   

3. Minta diri.   

Excuse me! {Leaving a conversation/meeting halfway.}  


 Try writing your own sentences in the comment below...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Word of the Day: How to use 'Sampai'

Comparison: Nak vs Mau

Word of the Day: How to use 'Untuk'